With each generation new norms are created. The way we date has changed drastically over the years. Whatever happened to true courtship? Let’s take a look at some old-fashioned dating trends we should seriously consider bringing back!
Getting picked up at the door. Bringing flowers or a small gift to show affection.
Dressing up for the date.
Asking someone out on a real date, and asking in person.
Opening the car door for your date.
Properly introducing your date if you run into friends while out.
Focusing on each other rather than electronics. Having real one-on-one time together.
Asking permission and being clear about intentions.
Having limited contact and set-in-stone plans – today texting changes everything!
Making small romantic gestures like writing love letters.
Moving slowly, and enjoying the courtship.
Not only can we learn a lot from throwing it back to how people used to court, we can also get some great date ideas! It’s time to put technology away, and enjoy some good old-fashioned fun!
Take a drive out of the city and go star gazing.
Go to a drive-in movie or a movie in the park.
Hit a casual old-fashioned diner for burgers and milkshakes.
Find a roller rink and go roller skating.
Go dancing or take dance lessons. Skip the club and learn how to either ballroom or square dance.
Take a romantic carriage ride.
Enjoy a throwback to your childhood and spend the afternoon in an arcade – there’s nothing wrong with a little friendly competition!
Take a walk in the park and share an ice cream cone.
Spend the night at home and break out the board games.
Hit a local fair, enjoy some cotton candy and take a romantic ride on the Ferris wheel.
Grocery store pickup lines--a sense of humor is required!
1. “Let me help you with that.” The most practical of the lines on the list, it’s really only effective when you actually help the person out.
2. ”The expiration date says ‘best if used by tonight.’ Can I make you dinner?” Be prepared for a laugh. Also, there’s always a chance that cute stranger you’re flirting with takes you up on your offer. Be prepared to cook.
3. Small talk is easy when you have something in common. If you’re both reading the nutritional information on sugary cereal boxes, point out the obvious: “I’m trying to convince myself that Corn Pops are healthy.”
4. Without playing dumb, ask for help or an opinion: “How do you know when an avocado is ripe?”
5. Break out the puns. Cringe-worthy puns can break the ice. “Funny meat-ing you here.” “This selection is nuts.” “Orange you glad citrus is finally in season?”
6. Check out your new crush’s shopping-cart contents. “Wow, looks like dinner’s at your place tonight.”
7. Hang out by the free samples then offer to “buy” dinner. Be sure to treat the sample lady with respect. Offer to tip.
8. End your grocery-store chitchat with, “I had a great time tonight. Would you like to plan the second date?”
9. If you’re standing in line together, comment on a ridiculous tabloid headline. “It’s the end of the world — again!” Bond over the ridiculous.
10. The best pickup line: “Do you know if they sell organic Oreos?”